Looking for the perfect gift to give yourself this holiday season? How about a trip to your local cosmetic dentist? There are lots of ways to give your smile a beautiful face lift, including veneers, whitening, bonding, crowns, and bridges.
A Quick Guide to Smile Enhancement
Lots of things look better with a little mileage. Take a distressed leather jacket or faded pair of jeans for example. Sometimes it’s the slight imperfections in an item that give it a unique and appealing character.
Your teeth are a different story. When they lose their original shine, the consequences can include not only social awkwardness but increased risk of cavities, toothache, and oral infections.
Fortunately, your local cosmetic dentist has restorative options that can turn back the hands of time. These include:
- Professional teeth whitening. This is a great way to remove stains and discolorations caused by tobacco use, strongly pigmented beverages, medication side effects or simple aging. Prescription whitening solutions are far more effective than over-the-counter kits sold online or at local retailers.
- Porcelain veneers. These not only make your teeth whiter, they correct aesthetic problems caused by chipped, cracked, uneven, or widely spaced teeth.
- Crowns. These provide both cosmetic and functional benefits. A crown is a carefully crafted restoration, one which sits atop the base of a natural tooth that has seen its better days. Crowns can be made from resin, mental, or porcelain. Your cosmetic dentist will work with to apply the perfect solution for your needs.
- Bridges. As the term implies, a dental bridge spans the space created by a missing tooth. A properly placed bridge can last 10 years or longer with basic care.
- Cosmetic bonding. The dentist etches the tooth with a resin material that fills in imperfections. Bonding is a great way to remove cosmetic blemishes and give the tooth a fuller, more even appearance. The resin is designed to blend in perfectly with the surrounding tooth.
- Tooth-colored fillings. Cavities can cause a wide range of dental health problems. But traditional high-profile filling materials sometime make the patient self-conscious. Talk to your cosmetic dentist about modern tooth -colored alternatives that are almost impossible to tell from your natural teeth.
- Dental implants. An implant is the closest possible thing to a fully restored natural tooth. Implants can last from 10 years to a lifetime. They enable the patient to enjoy his or her favorite foods, live a full social life, and engage in exercise and other healthy activities without the fears and limitations associated with traditional dentures.
Seeing a Cosmetic Dentist is the First Step
The first step toward your ultimate smile restoration is to make an appointment with your local cosmetic dentist. He or she will review your dental history, perform a complete oral examination, and discuss your treatment options with you at that time. This holiday season, give yourself the gift of a brighter smile. Best wishes to you and your loved ones, both now and in the new year.
About the Author
Dr. Melanie White earned her DDS degree from the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry. She started Maple Grove Family Dental in 2006 and has been serving the people of our community ever since. You can reach her office online or by calling 763) 420-4421.