Teeth whitening is one of the most common services that people want to know about when they’re researching cosmetic dentistry in Evansville. Professional whitening treatments from a cosmetic dentist can enhance your smile, boost your self-confidence, and allow you to enjoy the holiday season with a smile on your face.
Prescription vs. Over-The-Counter Teeth Whitening: Which Is Better?
Most of us can remember a time when our teeth were whiter than they are now. Lots of things can take the gleam off our pearly whites, including lifestyle factors, mouth-related injuries, or simply the effects of time and aging.
Teeth whitening offers a way to roll back the clock and undo much of the wear and tear our teeth under go over the years. But which option offers better results: professional treatments from a dentist’s office or over-the-counter kits available online or at local retailers? In almost all cases, trusting your dentist with this important care is the better choice. Here’s why:
- The chemicals used in over-the-counter kits are never as effective as those available from a dentist’s office. At best, mass-produced products can create only a modest whitening effect, one which is soon lost.
- Your teeth are among the most important organs in your entire body. Who would you rather trust to take care of them: a trained medical professional or a do-it-yourself kit purchased from an anonymous stranger?
- Teeth can lose their shine for many reasons. Sometimes whitening isn’t the best approach to smile restoration. The only way to find out for sure is to make an appointment with a cosmetic dentist. Otherwise you may end up throwing your hard earned money away on products that do you little good.
In-Office vs. Prescription at-Home Whitening: Which Should I Choose?
Most of us are busier these days than ever before. Work, family, and other responsibilities keep us from getting to the dentist as often as we would like. That’s why most cosmetic dentist are happy to prescribe take-home kits for their patients.
Unlike the over-the-counter kits mentioned earlier, these are medical-grade prescription formulas created with safety and effectiveness in mind. You obtain these products either directly from your dentist or with a prescription at your local pharmacy. When properly used, the results are very similar to those you’ll enjoy from an in-office visit.
When You May Need More Than Teeth Whitening
It’s important to understand that teeth whitening in Evansville is intended for cosmetic restoration, not to address serious underlying issues. Certain oral health conditions may require a different approach. Examples include:
- Cracked, chipped, or broken teeth.
- Teeth with untreated cavities or in an advanced state of decay.
- Tooth problems accompanied by inflamed or infected gums.
- Oral health issues stemming from another condition such as cancer or diabetes.
Be sure to mention any concerns you may have about these issues during your consultation.
For most people, teeth whitening is a great way to enhance their smile and their self-esteem. Make an appointment with your dentist soon to explore this and other cosmetic dentistry options. There’s no better way to go into the holiday season with a smile on your face.
About the Author
Dr. Melanie White earned her DDS degree from the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry. Her broad base of education and training gives her the ability to treat a number of dental conditions, including cosmetic issues. You can reach her office online or by calling (763) 420-4421.